Friday, January 6, 2012

Take it from me this time


Part 1 of FAREWELL ADVERTISING

*Since I will be changing career soon, I hope this would be of help to those people who want to pursue advertising.

June 2011
Working in an advertising company never crossed my head. Ever since I decided on my career path, I always see myself in print industry, which I expected to be more of a desk job – in short, stiff and boring. In my search of a first job that will hopefully suit my skills, I find it very interesting to be part of the creative world of advertising. I didn't imagine myself doing some sales talk with an open work schedule, meeting people now and then, but the picture of me handling both desk job and field work makes everything fulfilling to my part, especially we run a couple of print clients.

My first day had to do with numbers, and that’s the only time I enjoyed Math so much given the formula and calculator. It has been a much surprise to know how much a tiny ad can cost so much, wondering how a small-time business that wants to place an ad for exposure would survive without struggling for budget. Everything in advertising is risk-taking. How would one know if this ad will have a positive result? No one can really tell, unless your surname is Sy, Tan or Lopez. That’s given, they are our business tycoons. But how about those who are just starting? How on earth would they guarantee staying in the industry?

What traits do you have to possess to be able to endure this kind of job? Or maybe, stay long? In my week of experience, it is very unlikely of me to be comfortable with facing different kinds of people, especially the professionals. What do I have to be confident? Nothing for now. But I find myself prepared everyday to face people, even speak to them. I can also see myself doing my supervisor’s job. With that, I've summarized every single thing I’ve learned from my first week at work:
  • The key rule is patience. If I can hold my annoyance over a client, I can definitely be successful closing a deal.
  • Time management. Everyday, I am expecting loads of work and there are things that will require a lot of time. Creating a schedule will be a big help, especially if you can monitor everything you need to work on.
  • Multi-tasking. In line with time management is being able to do several things at the same time. If I can text while surfing the net, I can surely do a paper work and a phone call not exactly at the same time but within the same hour.
  • Presence of mind. Surely I’ll have late night's sleep but keeping everything on focus will help me survive a day, with flying colors.
  • Writing down everything. Man is intelligent and has the power to remember things which we store in our memory but it can also fail us. Taking down notes will help you remember things which your mind cannot and will let you know how much work awaits you if you just relax and relax, not work.
  • Attendance. Impression can last. Not showing up will absolutely makes someone tag you with a “no-show man.”
  • Sticking to schedules. That’s why they are called schedules. You have to meet them. Deadlines are as important as attendance. Failure to submit a requirement can ruin everything in your career, especially your relationship with people. You can even lose your job.
  • A yes-man. But also learning when you can say no, no matter what. Honesty is still the best policy.
  • On-going process of learning. You don’t know everything, questions will pop everytime, everywhere without you realizing it. Ask and learn continuously.
  • Good relationship with people. Some can pull you down but they might also be a helping hand.
  • Do your job well. And make sure you love it.
  • Embrace opportunities. You can never tell.
  • Take note of your seniors’ advices. They know better than you with ages of experience.
  • Pray always. Nothing will do better without His guidance.
*These are only half of the things I need to know. The other half will be theories and principles, and those are yet to be learned and found out.

In this field of work, I realize a very important thing that the big companies do not know: You don’t need to hire a person from the top schools in the country. Not all advertising people came from prominent schools, but I cannot deny the fact that it is an advantage. I myself came from a really good school but it is nothing compared to the top universities which are intimidating to me. This job does not require a high intelligence quotient. I am just an average student and my achievements are just a point something of those of a magna cum laude, or even nothing compared to his. But one point in my life, I experienced being on both ends, up and down. And maybe, it will put me to success with so much practice and practice. In one way or another, even the greatest people started from humble beginnings, failed and improved. I am still in the process of learning. I can still fail. I have yet to discover many things. And there’s always room for improvement.

Signed.
J.A.F.

No comments:

Post a Comment